Frequently Asked Questions
Do I really need a web site?
Well, only you can answer that. But if you want to promote your business or provide information to the public … the web is where everybody goes. They don’t call it the “World Wide Web” for nothing. And you can bet your competition knows that.
If you want to establish a professional web presence that reflects the value of your products and services, then it’s time to call in a web designer who can design a credible web site with all the right elements for you. You have less than eight seconds to impress web surfers.
Do you use templates?
Many web sites today are built from outlines [templates] where the content is simply added: a kind of “paint by the numbers”. Notice how a lot of sites look alike? We do use the WordPress and Joomla! platforms [which are template based] but we hand customize each web site to obtain a unique, one-of-kind look and feel that matches our client’s needs and goals. CMS sites built by iXora are totally individualized, handcrafted with personal attention.
Is my domain name available?
Will I get the domain name I want? Unfortunately the domain name of your dreams may be taken, but chances are you can find a suitable variation. Check with LunarPages.com, Registrar and Hosting.
The thought of building a new web site can be a little overwhelming.
Please feel free to contact us with personal questions, but first see if we can help you right here.
- What is a VERY small web site?
- What does a VERY small web site cost?
- I am a one-person business, do I need web site?
- How can you charge so little?
- What is involved in getting a web site?
- How long will it take to build my site?
- How will we exchange information?
- What do I want my web site to do?
- How do I want the web site to look?
- How do I find a web designer?
- What should a web developer’s qualifications be?
- Will I be able to update the content myself?
- Why not just build it myself with a free “build it yourself product”?
- Who owns the copyright to the web site?
- What is SEO?
- How does a site get a high position on the search engines’lists?
- Where did the name “iXora” come from?
- What is a VERY small web site? A VERY small web site has about 3-6 pages: the home page, a few content pages. It may have a few images (logo, banner, photos…)
- What does a VERY small web site cost? The cost of a web site depends on the level of functionality. If you have a small site with little or no advanced technologies such as a data form, eCommerce, custom graphics, etc…you can expect to pay under $500. A one page cyber flyer [three screens] will cost about $150. Sometimes we build sites FREE.
- I am a one-person business, do I need web site? Probably not. But a “web presence” can’t hurt. Our one page “Cyber Flyer” is perfect for you.
- How can you charge so little? We have a VERY small staff that mostly works from home. The office is not elaborate. VERY small sites do not take long to build, so the work hours are minimum. Also, we are not a business – we are a learning group. We select projects that meet our learning goals.
- What is involved in getting a web site? First we must to know what you need and expect. If we decide to build your site, we have to set specifications, collect content and images, and work up a mock home page for your approval. Then you must purchase a “domain name” and time on a server so the final web site can be viewed by the public.
- How long will it take to build my site? Time to build a site varies. If the site requires an information collecting form or needs to sell a product online, it will take extra time. Also if we have to take the photographs as opposed to your providing them, that will take extra time. But if the site is just simple and informative, it could take as little as three weeks. Otherwise, maybe 3-6 weeks. A cyber flyer could be built in a week or less. Much depends upon how quickly information is exchanged.
- How will we exchange information? If you live on the West Coast of Florida, our representative will have several face-to-face meetings with you. Otherwise, the process will take place on-line via email and off-line via telephone and the US Post Office.
- What do I want my web site to do? A lot of people don’t really know what they want their web site to do. It’s nice to make a great looking web site crammed with information and racy graphics, but then what purpose does it serve? Your web site could just be giving information on your company and inviting prospective customers to contact you for more. It could be an extension of your sales counter, selling products and services or your web site could be doing both of the above. Before we begin creating the web site, clarity on this issue will emerge from several consultations.
- How do I want the web site to look? Our designers will suggest possibilties based on your purpose. You may already have a logo that would provide the basis for color and style. Or you might like features you see at other sites.
- How do I find a web designer? Well, you have already found one. But if we are not right for you, keep surfing the net or get recommendations from friends. There are thousands of persons building web sites these days.
- What should a web developer’s qualifications be? A web designer/developer should be able to build an attractive site with all the functions you require. Previous work and recommendations should suffice. Our webmaster has a degree in computer science from the Unversity of Pittsburgh and has taken many web design/development classes from various colleges, receiving high grades and several certificates.
- Will I be able to update the content myself? We CAN build a site with a content management system [CMS] as well as a standard site, but it requires a learning curve and considerable time on the part of the client to self maintain it. On the other hand, we are always available to make changes and updates for a minimal fee with both types of sites. We also offer blogs which the client can control and keep current himself.
- Why not just build it myself with a free “build it yourself product”? That is your option, of course. But do you have the hours to spend at the computer learning to use the product? There is a huge learning curve involved. Why not let us do our work and you concentrate on yours?
- Who owns the copyright to the web site? Once the web site is built and paid for, the client owns the site and all technologies involved including the domain name.
- What is SEO? SEO stands for search engine optimization…strategies to place a web site as high as possible on search engines’ lists.
- How does a site get a high position on the search engines’ lists We use no-nonsense techniques to attract search engines…lots of legitimate textual content, proper use of META and image tags, clear title and description of the site and pages. No fancy tricks. No hidden code. No payment to search engine placement companies.
- Where did the name “iXora” come from? iXora is a beautiful flowering shrub prevalent in South Florida. They are dependable, beautiful, and easy to maintain.